Best Use of Formative Assessment
This award seeks to acknowledge an assessment product, which brings clearly identifiable benefits to formative assessment in a specific field(s).
Applications for this award need not be made by a supplier, but supplier-led nominations will be considered with equal merit as long as each application is supported by at least one case study showcasing use within an institution.
There are no restrictions on the nature of formative assessment solutions which can be entered for this category, beyond the requirement that they must already be in use. This award covers both assessments and assessment systems for any age range, which can focus on any subject matter; covering both academic and vocational subjects.
Submissions will be judged according to how well they meet each of the criteria below (max 1000 words). We also request a brief overview, or executive summary for the judging panel (max 200 words). Each submission will be considered on individual merit.
- Has the formative assessment solution been developed to address a clearly identified need?
- What is this need? How has the need been addressed?
- Is there demonstrable evidence of a successful implementation strategy, including alignment with organisational goals, engagement with key stakeholders, marketing, support and evaluation?
- How does it help schools / colleges / awarding institutions with teaching and learning?
- Is it distinctive and innovative?
- Does it provide a valid and reliable assessment of the area(s) being assessed?
- Is it easy for students and assessment administrators to use?
- Is it supported by clear and comprehensive user guidance, support for students and/or assessment administrators?
- How robust / reliable is the assessment delivery system?
- Is the user interface appropriate for the intended audience(s), with easy navigation and a clear structure?
- Is it accessible to a wide range of users?
- Does it have the potential to increase the accessibility of the assessment experience by allowing customisation of features – e.g. alternative formats, audio options, or adjustable text size?
- Does it include rich feedback, which identifies student’s misconceptions and provides proposals for appropriate remedial action?
- Does it signpost opportunities for students and teachers to use the outcomes of assessments to structure future learning in a consistent way?
- Does it provide value for money? (failure to include pricing details will result in the entry being marked down)